Welcome!

This is the place where I'll be posting bits and pieces from here and there (the creative scraps and incomplete works), hopefully documenting my creative journey of self improvement!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Reference Study #02

Since the last try with digital painting, I went away and decided to crawl some more before I walked. Working just in black and white was a wonderful experience and just allowed me to work much more simply and concentrate more on the form and shading. I chose for this reference study a portrait of the lovely Grace Kelly. It seemed like a clean and simple portrait to work on, and for the most part it was. However, try as I might, I had serious trouble trying to get the likeness of her. I tried to nail the eyes and brows, but just kept seeming to fall short. Again, learnt a lot from this attempt. I seriously thought, starting out with digital painting that I was going to really dred painting hair, but I feel like my confidence is building in that regard; I quite enjoyed painting the hair in this one. I look forward to starting a new painting. I think I'll choose a man too, just to keep it fresh.

My attempt at Grace Kelly.

The Grace Kelly Reference Image.

The sketch I started with.

No comments:

Post a Comment