Welcome!

This is the place where I'll be posting bits and pieces from here and there (the creative scraps and incomplete works), hopefully documenting my creative journey of self improvement!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Animations that are Work in Progress #02

Here's another installment of animated projects that are in a state of incompletion. Forever a work in progress.
The first one in this post is entitled I AM Jeff and was an animation that I started around the time I completed my short animation There Once Was a House... (around late 2006); it was an attempt at doing another kind of animation in the same vain as that last project (in the sense of style and creepy atmosphere), however, for whatever reason - it was shelved and I haven't touched it since.
The animation was going to have a documentary styled approach to it, looking into the life of Jeff, an (not so) average bloke and his supposed "normal" life. The animation was filled with irony which formed the foundation of the humour and intrigue that was suppose to be what drove the story. Anyway, this is definitely an animation that will never get finished.

Usually the strong objections behind going back and finishing some of these older works comes down to my disdain for the scripts. A lot of the time I may find myself cringing at these older scripts, be it the dialogue, the plot and story arcs, or just plain bad writing. Ofcourse, I don't regret writing them, for they have been a great help for me to progress and improve in these aspects of story telling and script writing. Nowadays, in order not to waste time in starting and abandoning projects I will only choose to develope something I write if I can walk away from the script after I finish it, forget about it to a degree then come back to it later and still find it interesting and clever.

This is Jeff (picture on the left). This is his "companion" Toodles (picture on the right).

Jeff at work as a telemarketer (picture on the left). Some of the ladies at the work-place. Look out Jeff. (picture on the right).

This second one is entitled Being the Best and was another animation I started around 2006. It was ment to be a send up of myself (a really exaggerated and warped version of me) and some of the people in my life at the time. I actually got a majority of this animation done, but it slowed down to a hault around the time I started needing to source voice actors. From the very small number of people who've seen some of the actual animation or have read the script, they seemed to like it and find it quite funny. Personally I still have a bit of a soft spot for this animation, just because of some sort of sentimentality that's attached to it, I suppose. But I'd be very hesitant to finish it even though it's like 80% complete.

So the story was about this extremely lazy person [Blake] who needs to get some cash to fix his computer in time for a big lan-party that's coming up on the weekend. So he's faced with the dilema of having to get some kind of a job in a short time to scrape some money together. Blah, blah, blah... I should also mention I think I had this in mind to be a series depending on the success of this animation at the time. Oh well, that's not gonna happen now :P


Blake and his friend Marvin arriving at a lan-party and meeting one of the "geeks" (picture on the left). Blake's computer over-loading. Not good (picture on the right).

End of Flashback!

No comments:

Post a Comment