Welcome!

This is the place where I'll be posting bits and pieces from here and there (the creative scraps and incomplete works), hopefully documenting my creative journey of self improvement!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Animations that are Work in Progress #04

Ooookay, so I have three different incomplete animated projects to show in this post.

The first one is Jimmy & Doiky 2: A Day at the Beach, a follow up to the first Jimmy & Doiky animation I did back in 2006. I wrote the script for this one back in mid 2007 and started animating a version of it that same year. However the style and everything was a little bit lack-luster, so I shelved it for a while and started work on a new version of it sometime in 2008. The original J&D was really just an animated skit, but with J&D2, I wanted to expand the two characters and have a bit more of a narrative to play with this time. I was on and off this project throughout 2008 and tried to get back into it around early 2009, but didn't make a heck of a lot of head way in it.

I still like this project and I reckon it still has some potential, so I very well might get around to finishing this actually. I liked the style in which I was going for, it may need some additional tidying up with what's been done so far as well as some script tweaks, but it could definitely be salvaged.

Jimmy and Doiky making their way through a crowded beach to find a good spot to setup shop.

Jimmy attempting to chat-up a surfer chick.

The second project is an untitled animation that I worked on back in early 2007, and was developed after a "discussion" started up in an animators forum that I used to frequent back in the day. A sort of animation battle where myself and another animator would each animate characters we'd design to face off against each other. So my character against his character.

I made a start and had my character designed and scripted out my animation, but things eventually fizzled out when the other guy never got around to designing his character. So the project ran out of steam in the end. There's only a handful of shots animated, but it was hard to continue on with the fight choreography without knowing the design of the other animator's character. I spose if I really wanted to finish this, I could just design another character, but it's not really something I'm interested in working on anymore.

The opening shot.

A shot of my character Zan approaching the other character in a secluded mountain area.

Alright, the third animation was actually a music video type animation that I started working on back in 2006. I decided to make a music video of the 90s song You Are Not My Friend by Frenzal Rhomb. I always found this song ammusing and catchy. I actually got about 80% of the animation for this done, but there were a few sections in the song that I didn't know how I could fill at the time, so it came to an end.

A shot of the main character sitting on the beach with a drink in his hand.

A shot of a van.


No comments:

Post a Comment