Welcome!

This is the place where I'll be posting bits and pieces from here and there (the creative scraps and incomplete works), hopefully documenting my creative journey of self improvement!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Old Matte-Painting Assignment Breakdown

Here's a little something that I did some years ago, back when I was doing my animation studies (2008). We had to create a matte-painting (well, "painting" isn't what I'd call it, more like "photo-manipulation"). This was actually the first assignment I had to do for the course, to show that I can infact use applications like Photoshop.

Basically what a lot of us did, was take a picture of some kind of landscape then alter it until it looked much different than what it originally was - usually transforming it into a ruin, which pretty much is exactly what I did!

This was my matte entry. The City Ruin.

Ok, so this image (above) was the original picture that I used in creating my matte-painting. The original image is called City Street by DMSpotts10.

This was the initial stage of the experience. I took the original image and placed it into a landscape oriented workspace.

Ok, so the first major thing I needed to do was go through the image and remove things that I didn't want in the image. Cleaning the shot. Removed things like parked cars, pedestrians, banners and lights.

Now I had the idea for a concept of a post earth-quake type catastrophic scene, so at this stage I tore the image apart and did some resizing to show more of the buildings. I also added some things like graffiti, smashed building windows, changed the colour of the tree and desaturated the overall colours in the scene.

In this step, I added the look of earth below the street level as well as some cracks in the road and a car wreck.

Started working on the distant background element of the scene. I brought in some additional buildings and arranged them in a "ruiny" kind of way.
 
In this stage of the matte, I added some thick cloud for the background and some mist around the foreground area.

The final step was colour-grading the scene, and voila! 

No comments:

Post a Comment